How to Create a Tech-savvy Staff, Travis Bussler
Why does IT need a tech-savvy library staff? Makes everyone’s jobs easier and provides better customer service to patrons.
Assessments, training and documentation – what we need to do
Assessments: all staff members need to assess where they are when it comes to technology
what to assess: everything… including USB drives – what are they, how do they work, etc.
Training: in-house, workshops, cd-rom, online, university, books
What to train on? Everything that is relevant
- make training mandatory
- short sessions
- organize staff into groups of similar skill levels
- stay focused
- make the training as interactive as possible
- go slowly and give plenty of practice time
- offer CEUs
- offer the training to other libraries or organizations
- let staff share experiences with each other
- use a variety of trainers and techniques
- let staff members bring drinks (non-alcoholic of course)
document everything – instructions, FAQs, cheat sheets, etc.
- keep it simple
- use lots of pictures
- have both print and electronic