Marshall Breeding introduced Project Croquet – he talked about it some, and we watched snippets of a video done by the creators of Croquet.
Project Croquet is a multi-user 3D-ish, game-like collaboration space accessed via a computer. It looks a little like Second Life or Sims Online – but that’s where the similarities begin and end. Project Croquet’s goal is to create better interaction and collaboration in a digital space.
- peer-to-peer network (P2P)
- the PC is doing with work – they don’t need or have servers
- build web pages in 3D – you can even turn it
- you can quickly creat virtual worlds and spaces
- you can walk into other spaces
- The creators are completely excited about their project!
My question – our users are moving to multiple formats, and more mobile formats. Will they want to interact using a Sims-like digital space, when they will probably be able to interact via video/cell phones? I’m not sure.
This project reminds me a little Tad Williams Otherland novels (good read, too).