Glenn Peterson, Hennepin County Library
OPAC Developments 2006:
- ILS Customer Bill of Rights – blyberg.net
- patREST – Blyberg developed this
- NCSU/Endeca catalog
- NGC4LIB – new listserv discussing next-gen catalogs
- Catalog search everywhere! Amazon, Google, MySpace
Glenn mentioned these trends:
- Go to userscripts.org – amazon and B&N scripts… add it to firefox
- Personalized Google pages… include live search to catalog, Library news..
- Myspace library search right in MySpace
How can your website and catalog work together… add value and save the time of the user…
- portal – something vendors are offering. bringing library content into the catalog interface.
- integrating catalog as one of many web-based resources
- Fort Collins library – includes menu on all pages, even library catalog
- aadl.org and Phoenix Public Library – both hacked their ILS to integrate it into the whole library website experience
1. links to titles
- not too hard to do
- booklists – link to the catalog record!
- newsletters – online newsletter – link to those catalog records when a book is mentioned
- new book alerts – link to those records… even using email
- event listings…
2. links to catalog searches
- on subject guides – link to the subject heading in catalog
- pathfinders – same thing
- reader’s advisory
3. make your links smarter
- create a script that points to catalog records
4. single login
- log in to catalog, databases, website, etc with one login.
- HCL is displaying My Account info within the website. Cool.