Aaron Schmidt – MySpace Invaders
Teens like what I’d consider to be ugly, gaudy pages.
Teens know the bad stuff on MySpace….
- Hold a MySpace Tips and Tricks class
- Class for Parents
- Historic figure/book character project – nwhat song would they like, who would they friend, etc
- MySpace bulletins – effective event invitation
Your library myspace:
- be authentic
- give up control (let teens do it)
- have fun
- consider who you want to be
- include a song and video
- meebome widget – for IM
MySpace in your library:
- Resistant admin?
- Always some issue to be scared of… get over it
Is MySpace a fad? Absolutely yes!
- Still experiment though
- It’s also part of a larger trend
My Own Cafe – a library mad ethier own myspace – ish space
Cliff Landis – Facebook
Social networking – connections between individuals create a network
Communication in Facebook:
- image representation (the profile)
- 1 on 1 communication
- communication in groups
- writing on walls
- sharing pics
- linking to other social networks and websites
How can this benefit students?
- traditional services like reference, marketing, and instruction
- innovative services, like acquisitions – asking studetns on their own turf, using a student’s public info (blog) to meet their info needs…
How will this Facebook improve my service?
- user-centric approach – the user is not broken
- meet people where they are – not where you want them to be
- point-of-need service
- effective marketing
- using the market that is already in place
How should we represent ourselves?
- facebook has cancelled some institutional accounts
- you might need to be an individual rather than an institution