Speaker – Lawrence Lessig
aside – GREAT speaker. Fun use of Keynote, well-paced.
He’s talking about current issues – scientists taking large sums of money from drug companies … and then they “approve” a drug, other similar money things (ie., lobbyists)
Money is not evil
These dependencies weaken trust
- scientists say it’s ridiculous to say that the money they get affects their viewpoints
- politicians say the same thing
Wow – basically showing how lobbyists influence government. Scary.
His point – government gets easy 2+2=4 style questions wrong, because they are guided by dependencies that guide them the wrong way
Now talking about government-regulation / extortion problems
A great way to change this:
- only taking donations from citizens, each person capped at $250
- another idea – don’t give any more money to politicians until they agree to this.
- His site – http://change-congress.org/