If youâ€™re making video for social media channels like Facebook, Instagram, or Vine, you might think about using a square format, rather than the usual 16:9 aspect ratio.
Why? Because square format videos work great on a mobile device – which is probably what your viewers will be using. And both Instagram and Vine use the square format for videos.
Here are some tips to make your square videos awesome:
- Fill the frame. Get up close to your subject. If your viewer is watching on a smartphone, that square video will be pretty tiny! Make sure your viewer can see your video.
- Center the content.Â Donâ€™t worry so much about that Rule of Thirds here. Go ahead and put your subject in the middle of the frame.
- Leave space on the edges.Â If you hold your smartphone vertically while creating your video, leave space at the top or bottom, so you can center in on the action that will show up in a square format. Same thing if you hold the phone horizontally – leave space at the edges, so your subject fills the frame but doesnâ€™t get edited out in a square format.
- Get to the Point.Â Really important for Instagram or Vine videos – you only have 15 or 6 seconds, so you will need to start right in on the action and your point!
More Square Format Video TipsÂ here:
- 10 Composition Tips for Stunning Instagram Square Photos
- Hip to be Square
- 10 practical Vine and Instagram video tips for brands
Instagram video from my library’s Instagram Account