I attended an Urban Libraries Council webinar on the customer experience today – it was good! Here are some of my notes from the session.
Speaker – Melanie Huggins, Richland County Public Library
Stuff I found interesting…
User Experience (UX) – interaction between technology and humans
Customer Experience (CxP) – all aspects of a customerâ€™s interaction with an organization, its product and services
Think about the whole interaction – the before, during, and after – thatâ€™s the customer experience.
6 laws of customer experience:
1. Every interaction creates a personal reaction
– An experience designed for everyone satisfies no one. You need to optimize for a specific set of customers (ie., use personas)
2. People are instinctively self-centered
– donâ€™t sell things – help customers buy them
– donâ€™t show your corporate underpants
3. Customer familiarity breeds alignment
– think of your company as a large production crew making the stars (front-line employees) shine on stage (during customer interactions) – nice thought!
4. Unengaged employees donâ€™t create engaged customers
5. Employees do what is measured, incented, and celebrated
– me – ok. â€œencentedâ€ is a silly word.
– donâ€™t just expect staff to do the right things. Instead, clearly define good behaviors.
– watch for mixed messages
6. You canâ€™t fake it!
– it has to be top priority to be successful
– advertise to reinforce, not create, positioning (ie., job ads)
Definition of brand: a customerâ€™s gut feeling about a product, service, or organization.