The Pew Internet & American Life Project recently released their Online Video 2013 Report. Interesting stuff.
Here’s what I found interesting – lots of info, including:
- 78% of American adult Internet users watch or download online videos (I thought it would be more, but that’s still a LOT of video being watched!).
- 31% upload or post videos online. Again, wow!
- 18-29 year olds do more – 41% of them upload or post videos.
- Whatâ€™s watched the most? Comedy, educational, How-to, and music videos.
- Why? social media and mobile. Makes it easy to post and share and watch quick videos wherever.
How about video using mobile devices? Among adult cell phone owners:
- 41% use their phones to watch video
- 40% use their phones to record video
- 20% use their phones to post videos online (thatâ€™s lower probably because doing so is handy, but it kills the battery!)
- 45% of all adult internet users watch videos on social networking sites (57% of ages 18-49)
- US adults – 91% own some kind of cell phone, at 56% own a smartphone
OK David – what’s this mean?
- Start making good, useful (and fun) videos, and your customers will start watching them.
- Share those videos in your social media channels – those customers are waiting for fun content to engage with (i.e., share, like, or comment).
- Whatever you make, make sure it works well on mobile devices. So keep the video short, and the visuals and sound BIG (big enough to be clearly seen and heard on a smartphone).
What else? Please share your thoughts in the comments!