Awhile back, I mentioned that my library has an Instagram account, and talked about managing multiple Instagram accounts.
Here’s what we’re actually doing with our Instagram account. I’d love to hear your library’s plans and goal for your own Instagram accounts – so please share them!
For starters, we’re using Instagram because people in Topeka are using Instagram. An easy way to discover this is to notice what local businesses are doing.
For example, if you enter a local restaurant, or get a flyer in the mail advertising a local business, Instagram will probably be one of the social media icons they will mention. That always tells me that locals are using it. I figure if local businesses are pushing it, that means their customers are using it … which means my library’s customers are using it too!
Right now, we have about 8 people on our Instagram team, and 2 loose goals:
- Show off the library as cool, helpful, and inspired
- Inspire customers to use the library
What do we post?
- What’s happening at the library right now
- i.e., it’s snowing, crowded rooms, people having fun, what are the teens doing, etc.
- Behind the scenes – photos of staff, working on a new area, etc.
- Library content – new books, what’s on the shelf, staff book favorites, etc.
- Fun things, like #bookfacefriday images with our books
Who do we follow?
- Our customers and local organizations
Do we post every day? No – we post when we find something interesting to take a picture of.
What are you doing with Instagram? Let me know!
Image from Jose Moutinho