Awhile back, I mentioned that my library has an Instagram account, and talked about managing multiple Instagram accounts.
Hereâ€™s what weâ€™re actually doing with our Instagram account. Iâ€™d love to hear your libraryâ€™s plans and goal for your own Instagram accounts – so please share them!
For starters, weâ€™re using Instagram because people in Topeka are usingÂ Instagram. An easy way to discover this is to notice what local businesses are doing.
For example, if you enter a local restaurant, or get a flyer in the mail advertising a local business, Instagram will probably be one of the social media icons they will mention. That always tells me that locals are using it. I figure if local businesses are pushing it, that means their customers are using it â€¦ which means my libraryâ€™s customers are using it too!
Right now, we have about 8 people on our Instagram team, and 2 loose goals:
- Show off the library as cool, helpful, and inspired
- Inspire customers to use the library
What do we post?
- Whatâ€™s happening at the library right now
- i.e., itâ€™s snowing, crowded rooms, people having fun, what are the teens doing, etc.
- Behind the scenes – photos of staff, working on a new area, etc.
- Library content – new books, whatâ€™s on the shelf, staff book favorites, etc.
- Fun things, likeÂ #bookfacefridayÂ imagesÂ with our books
Who do we follow?
- Our customers and local organizations
Do we post every day? No -Â we post when we find something interesting to take a picture of.
What are you doing with Instagram? Let me know!
Image from Jose Moutinho