Anyone ever attended a Tweetup? I attended my first, last night. What’s a Tweetup? Simple – a Tweetup is a get-together of people who use Twitter. The tweetup I attended was for Topeka-area people using Twitter, hence it’s called a Topeka Tweetup.
It was fun! This tweetup was hosted by WIBW Studios, a local television station. About 50 or so people attended. And I met some people that I have chatting with on Twitter, but never met in person, so that was cool. And it was fun hanging out at the studio, and seeing what “the other side” of the news cast looks like.
OK – Digital Branch Managers, Digital Initiative Managers, webdudes, marketers… you should be attending this type of gathering. Why?
- If your library has a Twitter account, these are the people following you. Go meet them!
- This group tends to be highly active, they get stuff done … you want to hear from them about library initiatives.
- In Topeka, many of them work in highly connected jobs, i.e., tv stations, newspapers, marketing and advertising firms, political campaigns, etc. It’s always good to make those connections.
- They all use the web, probably in an advanced way. They are your digital branch users (or at least potential users).
- They’re just really cool people!
Want to find out more about last night’s Tweetup? We made a couple of news sites:
- CJOnline’s Tech Report blog
- WIBW put us on the 10 pm news and on their website
- There’s also a website for Topeka Tweetups, and a Facebook Page!
Question – How are you connecting with your social media users?
ps – I’m @davidleeking on twitter – feel free to follow me!