I recently read the book Vlog Like a Boss: How to Kill It Online with Video Blogging by Amy Schmittauer. You can find out more about Amy at her website and at her YouTube channel.
And yes – it’s a book about making video … so I HAD to do a video book review, right?
Vlog Like a Boss is a good book! Amy covers quite a bit of ground about making vlogs.
But here’s the thing – this book is:
- Not about equipment. That part’s easy today – Have a smartphone? Done. You probably have a better camera than my super 8 camera from the 90’s.
- Not about editing tips and tricks, or how to get a professional, polished “look” (though there are some useful tips and tricks in the book).
What the heck is Vlog Like a Boss about then?
- It’s a video blogging pep talk. She shares her story. Her journey about vlogging.
- Amy talks about making her first video, the impact it had, and how she grew from there.
- The book is also about making CONTENT. Amy talks about knowing why you want to make videos, setting goals that point back to that why, and knowing your audience.
- She also discusses creating a persona, and focusing your video on that persona. Cool idea.
She also breaks down topic planning for videos in chapter 6, and has some great ideas for topic brainstorming. Really practical stuff.
So – go read the book – good stuff!