I’ve been thinking a lot about video for libraries lately. For a recent video team meeting (yes, my library now has a way cool video team!), I introduced the topic by sharing a couple of statistics about online video.
I thought I’d share some of those stats here, too – some with comments by me after the statistic. Because online video is HUGE:
- 78% of people watch videos online every week . DLK – that’s the majority of our customers/community. It’s a major way people choose to consume content.
- 55% of people watch videos every day.
- 85% of respondents who are already using video marketing found it fairly or extremely successful.
- Including video on a landing page can increase conversion by 80% . DLK – “Conversion” – for a business, that meant he person clicks “buy now.” For a library, that could mean they click the Hold button, or use a database, or attend a program.
- In the US, YouTube reaches more 18-49 year-olds than ANY broadcast or cable TV network, and YouTube does that on mobile alone. DLK – And YouTube is FREE. Which is amazingly cool, folks. We can use the same tools to reach those audiences.
- 85% of Facebook video is watched without sound. DLK – just amazing. And it means that your video needs to be interesting without any sound. No talking, no nothing. Just visual. That’s hard!
- 62% of consumers are more likely to have a negative perception of a brand that published a poor quality video! DLK – ok. Go watch some library-produced videos. Yes, we need to make videos. But we also need them to be good. So no more awkward synchronized bookcart dancing videos, please!
- Businesses using video grow company revenue 49% faster year over year than organizations without video. DLK – our “revenue” is community advocacy and perception. Grow it.
- By 2018, 69 percent of total Internet traffic will be video.
- According to a report published by Forrester, including video in an email leads to a whopping 200-300% increase in click-through rate. DLK – have an email newsletter? Then insert your videos, and see what happens.
- Forrester researcher Dr. James McQuivey estimates that one minute of video is equal to 1.8 million words.
- According to Online Publishers Association, 80% of users recall a video ad they viewed in the past 30 days.
- 46% of users take some sort of action after viewing a video ad, according to Online publishers association.
- 1/3 of all online activity is spent watching video.
- Online video now accounts for 50% of all mobile traffic.
- 65% of video viewers watch more than 3/4 of a video. DLK – make sure to front-load your main point, so it gets watched/heard.
Want to read the articles where I found these stats? Here you go:
- 29 Big Video Marketing Statistics for Media Brands http://tubularinsights.com/video-marketing-statistics-media-brands/#ixzz4KBI1hNyX
- http://www.pointsgroupllc.com/online-video-trends-2016/ – Online Video Trends 2015/2016 You Need to Read
- http://www.insivia.com/50-must-know-stats-about-video-marketing-2016/ –
- Online Video Trends 2015/2016 You Need to Read – http://www.doz.com/media/trends-in-online-video-2016 – explainer videos.